There is a common perception that dogs can eat anything. However medical research shows that though they are suitable for humans and other animals, certain foods should never be given to dogs.
We all love collecting our left overs and passing them on to our pets a beverage of water or any readily available drink. Most of these left overs are bones which we chewed on and couldn’t get the last scrap off. Dogs like humans need a nutrionally balanced diet and this is lacking in left overs. It is therefore advocated that these scraps should form no more than 10% of a dog’s diet. Fat trimmings both cooked and uncooked cause pancreatis in dogs. The bones may splinter in the dos intestines causing cuts or even obstructing them.
Fruits like grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs with the result of depression and lethargy. Avocados contain persin a substance that is toxic to dogs. This toxin is found in the leaves, fruit, bark and seed and it is therefore important to keep dogs away from avocado trees. Other fruits include peaches, plums and persimmons. Persimmons have seeds that inflame the dog’s intestines. This causes blockage in the intestine. Plums and peaches cause cyanide a chemical dangerous both to humans and animals.
Onions and garlic are particularly harmful in all forms whether cooked, raw or preserved. These cause anaemia because they destroy the dog’s red blood cells.
Beverages and drinks such as alcohol, milk, coffee, tea or any caffeinated drinks are fatal to dogs. The same effect that alcohol has on a human’s liver is found in dogs with lesser amounts affecting them. Milk and any milk derived product are not lethal but they do cause diarrhoea and upsets the dog’s digestive system. Caffeinated products like tea, coffee, energy drinks e.g. Red Bull and some human medication cause death when taken in large quantities.
Salt in excess can lead to sodium poisoning that may result in death.
These are just a few of the foods dogs should not eat or eat in moderation. If you are not sure what your pet may not eat, check with your veterinarian.
Macadamia nuts and chocolate cause dogs to fall in and may result in death depending on the quantity taken. As few as six nuts can lead to death from raised body temperature and increase heart beat..
Raw eggs, meat and fish are also not good for dogs because in their raw form they may be contaminated by bacteria like salmonella and E.Coli. These can be fatal to dogs. In addition some fish have parasites which are fatal within weeks should the dog not get treatment.
Dogs eating chocolate
It is common to many people to think that since they love their pets so much, the pets love everything they like. This could be true for a variety of stuff but not everything. Chocolate for example is a favorite to many pet owners. However, this is a highly toxic product to your pet and not only your dog but also your cat. Chocolate contains a chemical known as theobromine which is good to humans but it is highly toxic to dogs in any amounts.
As much as some dogs can stomach a bit of these chemicals, it is not good to bet on hope. Once the dogs eating chocolate escapade has been realized, it is better to get it medical attention as soon as possible. The question is what kind of first aid could you offer your lovable bundle of fur? The first and highly advised step would try to induce vomiting to get rid of the chocolate. To do this, give the dog some hydrogen peroxide then walk him around and let him go to the grass. This is because naturally, dogs will eat grass if they have something problematic in their stomach to help them vomit up.
Of the dog has not vomited in the next 30 minutes, you can administer another teaspoonful of hydrogen peroxide and wait for another 30 minutes. Another option that could help your dog to vomit would be to get the dog to eat or drink something that it really loves. This will help to dilute the chocolate and hence cut its severity. Boiled milk would be a particularly good option in this case.
However, if the pet does not vomit after the second dose, do not give it more. Hydrogen peroxide in large amounts can be harmful to your dog so it’s better not to give it anymore. Unfortunately, there is nothing more that you can do and the next best step would be to take it to the vet. In the event that you can’t afford the normal veterinary fees, you can look up some charity veterinary organizations like PDSA. Getting one in your area would save you the trouble of having to travel. Alternatively, you can look for a vet that is cheaper in your area or one that you can actually afford. Remember that you don’t have too much time so don’t be too selective.
If you live through this ordeal, you have to ensure that you lock all the chocolate safely in a cabinet that your pets can’t reach. In the event that you notice the pet likes chocolate, you can buy some specialized chocolate for the dog. This is safe and utterly a good treat for the dog.
Why is chocolate dangerous to your dog?
Dogs eating grass
Is there really dogs eating grass? Perhaps goats or cows in the fields or forest but not a household canine pet like your precious dogs? This is often the question I hear from some dog owners but the fact is, you are not the only one. Many of us are thinking why our beloved pets eat those when they do not have the capacity to digest it, let alone break it to fibers so the chance of getting nutritional value from it is very minimal so why then do they eat it?
Well if you are a doting dog lover who frantically observe every move of your pet, perhaps at one point in the past, you may have noticed your pet friend do this odd behavior of eating grass like those grass eating animals in the jungle and oftentimes you also wondered why?
While experts have given no exact answer to this peculiar behavior, the most common and acceptable explanation is that maybe, dogs like humans are trying to heal themselves by eating those grass. Let’s face it, dogs like man are also experiencing some abnormalities with their digestive system once in while. Upset stomach and bloating does not only happen to us but also to dogs who may be more prone to these kinds of stomach illnesses because they usually sniff around and lick things all over.
Theories said that by eating grass it helps the dog vomit which makes them feel better which is usually the case with us man too. We feel better after vomiting when something is wrong with our stomach. According to Science, the grass causes an irritation in the gastric system that leads to vomiting and dogs that feel ill are most likely to do so.
Another thing is that dogs are dog and may simply eat grass because they want to. They may develop this impulsive behavior of chewing on what they want as in this case, grass. You may have noticed your dog trying to look for a certain or specific grass and when it has found the right one, it will just stop and nibble the plant.
Why Dogs Eat Grass?
In this condition, diet may play a big part. A dog maybe extremely hungry or maybe looking for more fiber than those prepared food that is why it looks for grass as supplement to their usual diet. This habit may have evolved from their ancestral dogs where to survive, a dog must possess some hunting skills in the past. But there is nothing to worry about this peculiar behavior of your dog, so long as the plant eaten is free of toxins.