Flight Demo Aircraft
The Wings over Waukesha flight demonstrations starting at 10:30 p.m. both August 25th and 26th will feature World War II and contemporary military aircraft performing after General Aviation flight demonstrations!
|B-17 Fact Sheet B-17 History Sheet||Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress’
History: The Boeing B-17 “Flying Fortress” is a World War II bomber used primarily in Europe, participated in countless missions from bases in England. These missions often lasted for more than eight hours and struck at targets deep within enemy territory. Because of their long-range capability, formations of B-17s often flew into battle with no fighter escort, relying on their own defensive capabilities to insure a successful mission. Schedule A Ride!
|T-2 “Buckeye” (Newly Added, Sunday Only)
Owner: Warbird Herirage Foundation
History: The T-2 Buckeye was manufactured by North American in Columbus Ohio. The name Buckeye refers to the state tree of Ohio, and the mascot of the Ohio State University. Every jet-qualified Naval Aviator and virtually every Naval Flight Officer from the late 1950s until 2004 received training in the T-2 Buckeye.
History: The Grumman F8F Bearcat (affectionately called “Bear”) was an American single-engine naval fighter aircraft of the 1940s. It went on to serve into the mid-20th century in the United States Navy and other air forces, and would be the company’s final piston engined fighter aircraft. Modified versions have broken speed records for propeller-driven aircraft, and are popular among warbird collectors.
|‘Grumman TBF Avenger’ (Status: Sunday Only)
History: The Grumman Avenger was a carrier-borne torpedo aircraft and light bomber, with cabins for a crew of three, pilot, observer and TAG. Originally the Fleet Air Arm named the aircraft the Grumman Tarpon, changing to Avenger in January 1944. The Avenger was Grumman’s first torpedo aircraft, and its robust design had much in common with that of the Company’s fighters. One notable Avenger pilot was future American President George H. W. Bush, flying a TBM Avenger off the light aircraft carrier USS San Jacinto (CVL-30) in 1944.
|‘Douglas A-1 Skyraider’
History: The Douglas A-1 Skyraider was an American single-seat attack aircraft that saw service between the late 1940s and early 1980s. It became a piston-powered, propeller-driven anachronism in the jet age, and was nicknamed “Spad”, after a French World War I fighter. The Skyraider had a remarkably long and successful career, even inspiring its straight-winged, slow-flying, jet-powered successor, the A-10 Thunderbolt.
|North American T28C “Trojan”
Owner: Scott & Lori McLain
History: Designed to replace the World War II era T-6 trainer, the T-28 possessed higher performance than its forerunner and was easier to maintain. Also, the Trojan’s tricycle landing gear taught pilots to take off and land in the same fashion as the high-performance aircraft they were training to fly. This unique and colorful paint scheme was indicative of how it looked when she served our country at Edwards Air Force Base’s Test Pilot Program in the early 1950′s.
|North American T6/Harvard
Owner: Vic Stottlemyer
History: Advanced Trainer, Flying formation, gunnery, bombing training. Trained more allied pilots in WW2 than any other aircraft.Used by a number of countries in the ground attack/FAC role. Delivered to the RCAF Dec 1951. In service until 1965. Painted in it’s exact RCAF colors and markings.
|Beechcraft T-34 “Mentor”
History: The T-34 Mentor is the brainchild of Walter Beech, who developed it as the Beechcraft Model 45 private venture at a time when there was no defense budget for a new trainer model. Beech hoped to sell it as an economical alternative to the North American T-6 Texan, then in use by all services of the U.S. military.
|French Nord Aviation 3202 trainer
Owner: Ed Van Reeth
History: The Nord was a French built and re-engined Messerschmitt Bf 108. In 1942 the manufactured in Les Mureaux in occupied France. Before liberation 170 Bf 108s were built and Nord continued to build the aircraft using scavenged Bf 108 airframe parts, until stocks of German Argus engines were exhausted. Total production was 286 with the majority used as communications and liaison aircraft with the French armed forces.
|North American P-51D Mustang
History: One of the most effective, famous and beautiful fighter aircraft of WWII, the P-51 was designed to fulfill a British requirement dated April 1940. Because of the rapidly-mounting clouds of war in Europe, the UK asked North American Aircraft to design and build a new fighter in only 120 days. The first Merlin-engine versions appeared in 1943 with the P-51B, of which 1,988 were built in Inglewood, California, and the P-51C, of which 1,750 were built in Dallas, Texas. In the last 40 years, surplus Mustangs have been modified and used extensively as civilian air racers, but the latest trend is for private owners to restore them to almost perfect, historically-accurate condition.
Owner: Warbird Heritage Foundation
History: The North American F-86 Sabre was designed in the 1940′s as a subsonic fighter aircraft. The Sabre entered service with the United States Air Force in 1949. The F-86 saw action and became the primary U.S. air combat fighter in the Korean War. Various models were produced in day fighter, fighter-bomber, and all-weather interceptor configurations with a variety of armaments. U.S. production of the Sabre ended in December, 1956.
|Aero L-39 Albatros
Owner: Kaney Aerospace
History: The Aero L-39 Albatros is a high-performance jet trainer aircraft developed in Czechoslovakia as a trainer during the 1960s. It was the first turbofan-powered trainer produced by Areo. The Albatros – the most widely used jet trainer in the world. L-39 video taken at last years show.
|Lockheed T-33 “Shooting Star” aka “T-Bird”
Owner: Paul Keppeler (right)
History: The T-33 was the most widely used jet trainer in the world. A two-seat version of the USAF’s first jet fighter, the F-80 Shooting Star, the T-33 continues to serve in various armed forces today.
Owner: Charlie Nelson
History: The Nanchang CJ-6A is the primary trainer for the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force, and has been since 1960. It is powered by a Huosai 285hp 9 cylinder radial engine with supercharger and is fully aerobatic rated (plus 6, negative 3g’s). It has inverted gull wings and all major systems: starter, gear, flaps, brakes are all pneumatically (air) driven.
|Cessna L-19 “Bird Dog”
Owner: Mike Weinfurter
History: One of a long line of civilian light planes converted to military use (like the Taylor, Piper, and Stinson “Grasshoppers” of World War II fame), the Cessna L-19 “Bird Dog” observation and Forward Air Control aircraft traced its origins to the Cessna 170, a 4-place civilian light plane, with its military power upgraded from 145 to 213hp.
Owner: Commemorative Air Force (CAF)
History: SNJ -5. Naval version of the famous T-6 family of advanced WW2 trainers.Used by the Navy and Marines for advanced flying training,formation,gunnery and carrier landing qualification.This aircraft,flown by the Wisconsin Wing of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), is unique due to it’s rare rear gunner seat and canopy.”
|Fairchild PT26 “Cornell”
Owner: Commemorative Air Force, Wisconsin wing
History: The Fairchild PT-26 was a primary trainer used by the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) during WWII. The aircraft is owned and operated by the Commemorative Air Force’s Wisconsin Wing and is based here at the Waukesha County Airport. It was built in 1942 by Fleet Aircraft of Canada under license from Fairchild Aircraft and was based in Assiniboia, Sask, Canada where it helped to train RCAF cadets until the end of the war. The CAF Wisconsin Wing acquired it in 2008 and since then it has won four awards up at EAA AirVenture including: Best Primary Trainer, A ‘Silver Wrench’ Award for restoration,A Judge’s Choice Award and a Preservation Award.